Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for LARGE HAILSTONES and HEAVY RAINFALL
For people in Western, Central Plateau and parts of Upper Derwent Valley, South East, East Coast, Central North and Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 2:19 pm Sunday, 16 December 2018.
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HEAVY RAINFALL
Weather Situation: Humid and unsettled conditions are generating slow moving thunderstorms across much of Tasmania today.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Strahan, Queenstown, Strathgordon, Zeehan, Tarraleah and Geeveston.
Isolated thunderstorms have developed within the warning area and are expected to intensify over the coming hours.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:20 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
Abels Bay (43.2333°S, 147.098°E, 20m AMSL) Abels Bay,TAS set as my default location ›
7 day forecast
Today: Cloudy. Very high chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm during this afternoon and evening, possibly severe with hail and heavy falls during this afternoon and early evening. Winds E/NE 25 to 35 km/h tending N/NE in the morning then W/NW 15 to 20 km/h in the afternoon. Daytime maximum temperatures 21 to 26.
Forecast for Abels Bay (43.2333°S, 147.098°E, 20m AMSL) Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Summary Minimum 16° 14° 11° 11° 12° 12° 11° Maximum 24° 19° 17° 20° 18° 16° 18° Chance of rain 90% 90% 50% 80% 80% 90% 30% Likely amount 5-10mm 1-5mm < 1mm 5-10mm 1-5mm 1-5mm < 1mm UV index Very High Extreme Extreme Extreme Very High - - Frost risk Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm Wind speed 11
Wind direction ENE NNE WSW SW S SSE NE ENE ESE S SW SW SW SW Relative humidity 96% 76% 87% 82% 80% 66% 71% 65% 87% 79% 80% 70% 71% 62% Dew point 18°C 19°C 16°C 14°C 9°C 10°C 10°C 13°C 13°C 14°C 10°C 11°C 9°C 10°C
Sunrise and sunset times
Sunrise / Sunset for Abels Bay (43.2333°S, 147.098°E, 20m AMSL) First light Sunrise Sunset Last light Moon rise Moon set Moon phase Full moon Last quarter New moon First quarter 4:50am EDT 5:26am EDT 8:49pm EDT 9:24pm EDT 1:29pm EDT 1:46am EDT Waxing gibbous Full moon Dec 23 Last quarter Dec 29 New moon Jan 06 First quarter Jan 14
- Severe thunderstorm Warning (Large Hail/Heavy Rain) for Western, Cent Plateau, Upper Derwent Valley, SE, E Coast, Cent N and Midlands
- Strong Wind Warning for Lower East Coast and South East Coast. Cancellation for E of Flinders Is and Upper East Coast
- Cancellation of Road Weather Alert for NW Coast, NE, Western, C Plateau, Midlands, E Coast, Upper Derwent V & SE
- Cancellation of Severe Weather Warning for King Is, Furneaux Islands, Western, UDV, SE, NE, E/NW Coast, Cent N, Cent Plateau & Midlands
Temperature for next 7 days
Temperature in 7 days Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday 24 19 17 20 18 16 18
Rain for next 7 days
Rain in 7 days Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday 10 5 0 10 5 5 0