Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Weather Warning
for ABNORMALLY HIGH TIDES and DANGEROUS SURF
For people in parts of Wide Bay and Burnett and Southeast Coast Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:00 pm Wednesday, 20 February 2019.
Abnormally high tides and dangerous surf for areas south of Seventeen Seventy.
Weather Situation: At 5pm AEST, tropical cyclone Oma lies over the eastern Coral Sea, approximately 1000 kilometres northeast of Brisbane. Tropical cyclone Oma is forecast to move to the southwest over the next few days, and will generate a significant east to northeasterly swell over southern Queensland beaches. The increasing swell is also expected to combine with king tides.
Dangerous surf conditions are forecast to develop over Fraser Island and Capricornia coastal waters, south of about Seventeen Seventy during Thursday afternoon and evening. These conditions are then expected to extend south over remaining southeastern Queensland coastal waters during Friday. Beach erosion is likely to continue with the hazardous marine conditions.
Water levels on the high tide may exceed the highest tide of the year by around one metre on the morning high tides on Thursday and Friday.
Locations which may be affected include Gold Coast, Maroochydore, Moreton Island, Noosa Heads, Fraser Island, Caloundra, North Stradbroke Island and Rainbow Beach.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Surf Life Saving Australia recommends that you stay out of the water and stay well away from surf-exposed areas.
* Check your property regularly for erosion or inundation by sea water, and if necessary raise goods and electrical items.
* If near the coastline, stay well away from the water's edge.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 11:00 pm AEST Wednesday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
Anglers Paradise (27.9372°S, 153.4°E, 1m AMSL) Anglers Paradise,QLD set as my default location ›
7 day forecast
Today: Hot. Partly cloudy. Slight chance of a shower in the evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the south in the evening. Winds SE 25 to 35 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 19 and 23 with daytime temperatures reaching 30 to 36.
Forecast for Anglers Paradise (27.9372°S, 153.4°E, 1m AMSL) Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Summary Minimum 24° 23° 22° 22° 21° 21° 21° Maximum 30° 27° 27° 27° 27° 27° 28° Chance of rain 80% 60% 60% 60% 90% 90% 90% Likely amount 1-5mm 5-10mm 10-20mm 5-10mm 5-10mm 5-10mm 10-20mm UV index Extreme Extreme Extreme Extreme - - - Frost risk Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm Wind speed 34
Wind direction S S S S S S S S SSE SSE SE ESE ESE ESE Relative humidity 85% 81% 85% 81% 83% 83% 80% 82% 79% 79% 79% 80% 83% 83% Dew point 25°C 26°C 23°C 23°C 23°C 23°C 22°C 23°C 21°C 22°C 21°C 23°C 23°C 24°C
Sunrise and sunset times
Sunrise / Sunset for Anglers Paradise (27.9372°S, 153.4°E, 1m AMSL) First light Sunrise Sunset Last light Moon rise Moon set Moon phase Full moon Last quarter New moon First quarter 5:09am EST 5:33am EST 6:27pm EST 6:51pm EST 7:51pm EST 6:53am EST Waning gibbous Full moon Feb 20 Last quarter Feb 26 New moon Mar 07 First quarter Mar 14
- Severe Weather Warning (Abnormally High Tides, Dangerous Surf) for Wide Bay and Burnett and Southeast Coast
- Strong Wind Warning for Capricornia Coast, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island Coast, Sunshine Coast Waters, Moreton Bay and Gold Coast Waters
- Hazardous Surf Warning for Capricornia Coast, Hervey Bay, Fraser Island Coast, Sunshine Coast Waters, Moreton Bay and Gold Coast Waters
- Initial Flood Watch for coastal catchments between Gladstone and the NSW Border and adjacent inland areas
Temperature for next 7 days
Temperature in 7 days Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday 30 27 27 27 27 27 28
Rain for next 7 days
Rain in 7 days Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday 5 10 20 10 10 10 20