Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
New South Wales
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for LARGE HAILSTONES, HEAVY RAINFALL and DAMAGING WINDS
For people in Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory and parts of South Coast, Central Tablelands and Central West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.
Issued at 11:22 am Saturday, 20 October 2018.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Orange, Canberra, Goulburn, Cooma, Yass and Tumbarumba.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 2:25 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas or Canberra and Queanbeyan, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in these areas.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
Canberra (35.282°S, 149.1286°E, 561m AMSL) Canberra,ACT set as my default location ›
7 day forecast
Today: Cloudy. Very high chance of showers or thunderstorms, most likely in the afternoon and evening. Thunderstorms may be severe. Winds NW 15 to 20 km/h becoming light in the late afternoon then becoming E/SE 15 to 25 km/h in the late evening.
Forecast for Canberra (35.282°S, 149.1286°E, 561m AMSL) Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Summary Minimum 11° 8° 9° 9° 7° 7° 9° Maximum 24° 17° 22° 27° 21° 22° 25° Chance of rain 90% 50% 20% 40% 30% 60% 80% Likely amount 10-20mm 5-10mm < 1mm < 1mm < 1mm 1-5mm 5-10mm UV index Very High Very High Very High Very High - - - Frost risk Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil Nil 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm Wind speed 9
Wind direction NNW NNW S WSW NNW NNW NW NW NNE NNE ENE NNE N NW Relative humidity 60% 62% 75% 54% 73% 44% 63% 25% 64% 34% 72% 38% 72% 41% Dew point 11°C 16°C 6°C 8°C 9°C 9°C 10°C 6°C 5°C 5°C 7°C 7°C 10°C 11°C
Sunrise and sunset times
Sunrise / Sunset for Canberra (35.282°S, 149.1286°E, 561m AMSL) First light Sunrise Sunset Last light Moon rise Moon set Moon phase Full moon Last quarter New moon First quarter 5:49am EDT 6:15am EDT 7:22pm EDT 7:48pm EDT 3:00pm EDT 3:56am EDT Waxing gibbous Full moon Oct 25 Last quarter Nov 01 New moon Nov 08 First quarter Nov 16
Temperature for next 7 days
Temperature in 7 days Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday 24 17 22 27 21 22 25
Rain for next 7 days
Rain in 7 days Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday 20 10 0 0 0 5 10